In building our Enterprise GIS Database, we need to support users with different needs. Some of our users just need to see the data on a map while others may want to download a copy of the data so they can use it within their own desktop system.
After doing some exploring, one of the options that looks like it will feel the bulk of our internal needs is to create a Map Service/Geodata Service pair–by creating a Map Service, we can make an easy-to-use visual representation of our data. Combining that with a paired Geodata Service–a Geodata Service with the same name as the Map Service–we can accommodate those users who want to extract the data to their hard drive.
A user who has added paired Map & Geodata Services to an ArcMap dataframe can use the Distributed Geodatabase Toolbar to extract data to a local geodatabase. The Extract Data button is on the far right of the Distributed Geodatabase Toolbar.
Unfortunately, my first attempts at testing this did not work. It would look like it was processing, I would end up with a .mdb or .gdb file on my hard drive but I could not open it. I would get a “Failed to connect to database. This release of the GeoDatabase is eitehr invalid or out of date. [Unknown GeoDatabase release.] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query ‘GDB_ReleaseInfo’. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly.” error.
When exporting to an .mdb file, I could open it in Access and see the data.
Luckily the error is fairly helpful–I was getting an ArcGIS 10 Geodatabase even though I am running ArcGIS 9.3.1 on my desktop. I was able to open the exported geodatabases using a copy of ArcGIS 10 on another machine. The reason for the inconsistency is pretty interesting. Our office is, and for the foreseeable future, running in a mixed-version environment. We have a mixture of 9.3.1 and 10 desktops, a 9.3.1 ArcSDE server and a 10 ArcGIS Server. The Extract Tool is a server-side function apparently that creates a version 10 Geodatabase.
The way to get around this is to extract the data to XML and then import the XML workspace into a geodatabase. Not sure if that will work for all schemas but it was successful for me.
We finally installed an instance of ArcSDE 10 today. My first attempt at connecting in ArcCatalog 9.3.1 failed with the following error:
Failed to connect to the specified server.
This release of the GeoDatabase is either invalid or out of date. [Please run the
ArcSDE setup utility using the -o install option.]
DBMS table not found[sde.sde.GDB_Release]
Turns out the solution was simple, this article points out that Service pack 2 is required. After updating my ArcGIS, the problem was solved:
I was the proud, new recipient of a non-misleading error message. After some minor head-slapping, I realized that 9.3.1 and older versions of ArcGIS are not able to connect to ArcSDE 10. Doh! My bad–I should have read ESRI’s clear information on this topic. At least I never actually tried to install ArcSDe with the -o option as the first error message instructed me to do.
Since the name of the blog is Node Dangles, I get several hits daily from searches on “Node Dangles” and I have no information on node dangles. This post is the first in a series to change that.
First let us, by us, I mean ESRI, define what a node dangle is. Their online glossary actually defines a dangling arc, a dangling node is a node (endpoint of an arc) that does the non-connecting mentioned below:
“An arc having the same polygon on both its left and right sides and having at least one node that does not connect to any other arc. It often occurs where a polygon does not close properly, where arcs do not connect properly (an undershoot), or where an arc was digitized past its intersection with another arc (an overshoot). A dangling arc is not always an error; for example, it can represent a cul-de-sac in a street network.”
Matt’s definition is “a node that isn’t connected to any other node”. The Arcedit screen shot below shows a coverage of roads and its arcs (white lines), nodes (white squares) at the ends of the arcs, and node dangles (red squares) indicating what nodes are dangling. Too bad clearly flagging dangling chads isn’t so eary .
Displaying (and illustrating) how to display dangling nodes in Arcedit is simple, the command is “drawenvironment node dangle” or, as I’ve done above, “drawe node dangle”. To display the dangles in a different color than the default white, follow-up with the command “nodecolor dangle 2”. The 2 is ESRI’s value for red.