Almost a year ago, I updated ERSI’s Domain Sort code for VB 6 to work with ArcGIS 10. Recently, I had a comment that this Add-In caused ArcCatalog to explode if you had an open OLE connection. When I tested it, it turned out the reports were accurate.
I got around to adding in a Try-Catch around the offending chunk of code & it is now better than ever. You can download just the Add-In or the Add-In with source code or get it from ESRI’s ArcGIS Resource Center.
Random luck me to discovering a bug related to feature classes whose names start with “nd_”. It appears that you are allowed to create feature classes starting with “nd_” but ArcCatalog will not display them. Further research shows this behavior also occurs for table and for ArcSDE (PostGres) geodatabases, personal geodatabase, and file geodatabases–I am using ArcCatalog 10.0.
I first noticed something odd was occurring while importing a series of shapefiles into a geodatabases. After importing 15 shapefiles, I only had thirteen feature classes despite receiving no errors during the process. The two shapefiles that failed to import were named ND_oil_and_gas.shp and ND_Bendix_Study.shp. Subsequent attempts to import them individually returned an error “Invalid Target Name”.
I discovered in pgAdmin III (Postgres SDE Geodatabase) that the table existed and there was an entry in sde.sde_layers for the feature class but ArcCatalog refused to show it.
I used some un-supported methods to try to resolve the problem and despite some sweating, I failed to find a way to get ArcCatalog to display these feature classes. I did, however, at least found a way to delete them–arcpy can detect that the feature classes exists so it is able to delete them.
At least by deleting them, I can prevent leaving “invisible” feature classes from hanging out in my geodatabase.
I suspect the problems stems from how ESRI has implemented the Network dataset table-naming structure –dirty areas are stored in tables named nd_<itemid>_dirtyareas and nd_<itemid>_dirtyobjects. Possibly the developer working on the ArcCatalog GUI ended up suppressing showing feature classes and tables whose names start with “nd_”.
And, just for posterity’s sake, here is a python code snippet listing the feature classes in a workspace:
arcpy.env.workspace = “c:/temp/_nd/F.gdb”
for fc in arcpy.ListFeatureClasses():